Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Grading Rant, Be Warned

There are crazy people outside of my apartment yelling "fuck" amidst the sounds of sirens and car doors banging closed - many repetitions of "fuck" combined with incomprehensible sentence fragments.

Ok, back to grading.

No, wait. Does anyone else have to tell yourself to "stop" when grading, otherwise you will start thinking about the student's topic (and how you would have written the paper) or get really, really angry that the student has apparently not paid attention to anything you have said, written on a handout, or written on a draft all semester? Huh? Cause I'm doing that right now.

I know it's the end of the semester, but for God's sake people (actually, for MY sake students), I can't write this paper for you, though it would seem like I'm trying to based on the copious amounts of feedback I have given to each student. (Yes, feedback is a funky word, but I can't think of anything better.) So why can't you take my advice? Huh? Why not just do as I say and explain what that quote means and connect that paragraph back to your thesis and explain your reasoning? Huh? Why no logic? It doesn't hurt, you know. Logic is very, very good. It makes your argument, you know, strong by providing reasons and warrants.

I'm at the stage where I just want to write in the damn reason instead of asking leading questions to solicit thinking from students. I know they're tired too, but puh-lease. We have spent the whole semester on this. How many times do I have to say "stating your thesis over and over again is not an argument"?

Fuck.

Update: Ha, ha! I just taught Blogger the word "fuck."

No comments: