Monday, October 15, 2012

Summer Reading, 2012

This summer's reading list is shorter than the last few years, but it also contained fewer duds. Knowing that my reading time was limited by me finishing my dissertation (we've established that you call me Dr. now, yes?), I was a bit more careful about what I checked out from the library. I've also been better about reading during the semester--both the spring and this one--so that I wasn't overwhelmed by that zombie-like craving for escape in between semesters. There's still some lite trash on the list, but a lot of really good stuff. I've bolded my favorite reads of the summer, but just because something isn't bolded, doesn't mean it isn't good. I mean look at all that Diana Wynne Jones!
  1. Aunt Dimity: Vampire Hunter by Nancy Atherton 
  2. Roast Mortem by Cleo Coyle 
  3. Aunt Dimity Slays the Dragon by Nancy Atherton
  4. Sarah Canary by Karen Joy Fowler 
  5. Tam Lin by Pamela Dean 
  6. Bluebeard by Kurt Vonnegut 
  7. Aunt Dimity Down Under by Nancy Atherton 
  8. Grave Sight by Charlaine Harris 
  9. Monday Mourning by Kathy Reichs 
  10. Charmed Life by Diana Wynne Jones 
  11. The Lives of Christopher Chant by Diana Wynne Jones 
  12. The Magicians of Caprona by Diana Wynne Jones 
  13. Witch Week by Diana Wynne Jones 
  14. Aunt Dimity & the Family Tree by Nancy Atherton 
  15. The Sweetheart Season by Karen Joy Fowler 
  16. Blood Wyne by Yasmine Galenorn 
  17. Nocturne by Christine Johnson 
  18. Fledgling by Octavia E. Butler 
  19. Saturn's Child by Nichelle Nichols & Margaret Wander Bonanno 
  20. The Stepsister Scheme by Jim C. Hines 
  21. The Mermaid's Madness by Jim C. Hines 
  22. Heads You Lose by Lisa Lutz & David Hayward 
  23. Explosive Eighteen by Janet Evanovich 
  24. Cart and Cwidder by Diana Wynne Jones 
  25. Drowned Ammet by Diana Wynne Jones 
  26. Making Money by Terry Prachett (we watched Going Postal on Netflix--very good)
  27. Changeless by Gail Carriger 
  28. Deadlocked by Charlaine Harris 
  29. A Perfect Blood by Kim Harrison 
  30. Elegy for Eddie by Jacqueline Winspear

1 comment:

delagar said...

Pamela Dean's Tam Lin is one of my favorite books of all time.

Have you read her Juniper, Genitian, and Rosemary? The ending has problems, but the rest is just excellent.