Thursday, April 20, 2006

Glorious, Glorious Paperclips

I had so many things that I wanted to blog about today. I kept thinking of things all day - walking between class, alphabetizing papers, while lecturing . . . and I have forgotten every single on of them. Every. One.

I have had a very caffeinated day. Very. Caffeinated. I have also been grading all day. All. Day. This means that I am losing my mind. The part of my mind that has already disappeared is that which contains the clever ideas that were to become blog posts. So I am going to write about paperclips.

Paperclips are wonderful things, especially plastic coated paperclips. The wondrous thing about paperclips is their abundant non-clipping-of-paper uses. Plastic coated ones have a unique advantage in this areas because they will not rust.

If you do not iron because, say, ironing is stupid, you can still wear wrinkle free clothing with a little help from paperclips. If you have a shirt like this one, you will no doubt have run into the problem of keeping the collar straight when THERE ARE NO BUTTONS ABOVE THE BREASTS. Now, some shirts, like the particular one to which I have linked, do have one collar button so that the shirt will hang straight, but this is a recent invention and I own several shirts that are sans cleavage-hiding and collar buttons. What is a girl to do to keep her shirt straight?

This is where paperclips come in. Simply take the plastic coated paperclip and paperclip your shirt together at the collar where the button should be. This works particularly well when you hang a shirt up to dry rather than tossing it in a dryer. If the fabric is thin and curls (either along the buttonless area or on the cuff), you can space paperclips along the offending areas to ensure straight drying. Large paperclips are also handy when attached to the bottom of a lightweight, thin piece of clothing in order to ensure that all wrinkles are pulled out while drying-by-hanging.

Link to an article about the paperclip photographer.

No comments: