Thursday, September 07, 2006

Vacation Part IV

Day 5: Saturday

Free breakfast at the hotel? Why yes, thank you. Then it was off to the Guggenheim with Husband’s Mom and Stepdad. The Guggenheim wasn’t that impressive. We saw a bust of Victor Hugo by Rodin that looks like my grandfather. Then lunch with the family, a quick stop at a comic book store, and off to PS-1.

What can I say about PS-1? Not much really. There was lots of “really?” and “so?” and “um, is this it?” and “and your point is?” and “can we leave now?”. There were some great pieces there, but most of it was either boring, had been done already, or was self-expression with no artistic motive-no point. I feely admit to being an art snob, but I like my art like I like my literature—with a point. If it doesn’t do something, then why should I waste my time? I was a bit arted out by this point.

We grabbed a bite to eat, then went back to the loft for a party. We arrived at 9pm. At 5am Skinny Boy, who had disappeared for at least an hour, returned and shut the party down. When everyone went on the roof to launch illegal fireworks at 2:30am, Husband and I retreated to the loft for some quiet. He said, “Oh I get it. They’re all 20 years old.” Yes, age plays an important part in one’s ability to enjoy an 8-hour party. As does alcohol consumption. I drank vodka, but apparently not enough.

Day 6: Sunday

We slept late, ate pancakes, packed, and hung out with Husband and Skinny Boy playing guitar together—they used to be in a band that was pretty good. It was like old times, only Skinny Boy was on the bass and Husband on the guitar—the opposite of their band days.

No comments: