Diagonally across from me on the bus-ride home was a young man--about the same age as my students--cutting a word into his ankle...on the bus. A moving bus. With a sharp piece of metal. Not a knife. It looked like a filed down key. OMG. Across from him was a lady reading The Purpose-Driven Life.
The cutting didn't freak me out (scarification--it's the new tattoo!). It appeared to be legit body art, not, you know, cutting because you have issues, which is different and not, I think, usually decorative, which this obviously was. But he was doing his scarification (scarifying?) ON THE BUS. Seriously. I don't get it. And the woman reading The Purpose-Driven Life--she'd look at him, then look up something in her index, then read, then look at him again. I think I am more terrified by her to be honest. 'Cause self-help books are scary shit.
No comments:
Post a Comment