Saturday, June 10, 2006

All Kinds of News from the North Shore

I am red. We spent the morning at the beach - till noon, and I wore lots of sunscreen and spent time in the shade and reapplied after swimming and drying off and when time passed, and still I'm red. My face - not red, not burnt at all. Basically, the places that are usually covered by clothes (tops of thighs, back) but not by my bathing suit are what burnt. I should have expected it.

Now that the bemoaning is over with, guess what I did? I slept on the most wonderful beach last night - no tent. It was cool. Friends invited us to a bonfire on the North Shore. We were at a nice secluded beach - no tourists, only locals and residents and very few at that. The beach bungalow parts of The Big Bounce were filmed there if you want to see what it looks like (I had no camera). The not having a bathroom was a bit tricky, but there's plenty of sand.

And I swam in my deepest ocean water yet - duh-duh-dunnnnnn - about 12 feet! You could see everything in the water. That sand is course, so it doesn't get swirled around in the waves like fine sand. The current was a bit strong, so getting past the shore break was more difficult than I expected. I got slammed under while lingering, but I had lots of fun. And I was with several strong swimmers who knew the beach well - no worries.

The bad news - Husband broke a tooth while there. Don't know how, but at least it doesn't hurt. And the car we borrowed from a friend got broken into. The little shits busted the rear trianglely window, AFTER we left the car freakin' unlocked to avoid this situation. We also left the glove compartment open to show that we weren't hiding anything. If you ever visit Island State and park at a trailhead or a beach, leave the doors unlocked and leave nothing of value in the car. This is the most common crime in Island State. Don't bring anything nice that you don't need, and always carry the valuables with you ('cause you need them).

Shit. We brought back a hermit crab. I just looked at our shells and there he was. We even checked them, but I guess not close enough. I hope he lives through the night. Tomorrow there will be an emergency trip to the ocean to release the poor thing.

1 comment:

Eddie said...

This sounds like paradise! Except for the break-in and the broken tooth and the hermit crab of course, lol.