Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Tree vs. the Stupid-Piece-of-Crap Hand-held Sewing Machine

Guess who won? Stupidepieceofcraphandheldsewingmachine.

We bought the stupidepieceofcraphandheldsewingmachine from the evil Walmart* a few months ago because it was the only place on this island to get one. That should have been the first clue. Stupid evil Walmart.

Husband tried it out mending some shorts when we bought it. It worked fine.

I just tried using it to hem some curtains that are long overdue for hemming (like, a year overdue). Didn't work. At all. Just gets stuck in the fabric. I know how to using a sewing machine, so I checked all of the the normal stuff. The fabric is kinda thick, so I had planned on doing the parts with multiple folds by hand. Now I have to do the whole stupid fucking thing by hand. Which means it ain't getting done anytime soon.

It's probably just that the fabric is too thick, or that it'll work fine for Husband (he has the magic touch when it comes to all things with metal bits).

Stupidepieceofcraphandheldsewingmachine. Grumble, grumble.

Oh, and I can't put the curtains back up by myself.


*Not that there is such a thing as a non-evil Walmart, but the sentence doesn't quite work without the "the." Just to be clear, Walmart is evil. Like Elmo. It destroys all that is good and wonderful (like local economies and people's lives, whereas Elmo only killed Sesame Street).

2 comments:

delagar said...

I *hate* when I have to buy something from Wal-Mart -- which we have to, sometimes, here in Pork Smith, because they have driven all the good stores away. We have Target and Harps, and a few tiny hardware stores, but frequently they have not got what we need, so occasionally it's the Wall.

And besides the fact that they are Evil, which they are, I just hate going into the place. It's so oppressive, and depressing.

delagar said...

Oh -- OT -- But I read another book recently which I thought you might like: Slob, by Ellen Potter. She's another excellent YA writer. She writes the Olivia Kidney series, about the kid in NY that sees ghosts. Those are also excellent. Slob isn't in that series, but it was really good. Jewish kids as the main characters, which of course is a big plus for me, and multi-ethnic casts, but just a good story in general.