Friday, July 10, 2009

I Read Books

Last summer I started keeping track of what I read for fun. I read all of the time, but during the academic year I rarely read for fun. It's all work. Even when I'm reading something I really enjoy, if it's for an article then I read very differently than when I read for fun. I can usually manage a couple of fun books per semester, especially if I've been waiting for something to come out, but that's it. In the summer, I basically consume books. I consumed 47 last summer.

This year's list is up, at the bottom of the sidebar. I'm happy to tell you all about the books if you're interested in one. I'm not really up for reviewing everything, as I'm already working on book 15, but I'll review requests, or anything really good.

And if you have recommendations, please give! I read everything. Last summer, I particularly enjoyed some of the young adult and children's fiction I had missed out on as a kid. And you guys gave great recommendations last year.

2 comments:

delagar said...

I'm re-reading Laurie King's Mary Russell series right now -- have you read those? It starts with The Beekeeper's Apprentice, in which a 15 year old orphan girl literally stumbles over the retired Sherlock Holmes on Sussex Downs, where he has been keeping bees, and gets better from there. (The orphan is half-Jewish, and a feminist, btw.)

They are mystery novels, sort of, and historical fiction, kind of, but who cares. They are so much fun.

Also: Hilary McKay! I recommend her kids' books to everyone. She's just brilliant.

Tree of Knowledge said...

Thanks, delager. Someone else suggested the Mary Russell series, so that's on my library list. I'll add Hilary McKay.