Freaky weirdness happened all day.
Freaky Weird Thing #1: Typical TR classes go like this, first class = sucks hard core, second class = ok, third class = really good. Today, first class was really good, second class sucked, and third class sucked worse than hard core. I mean, in the running for the top 10 worse classes I've ever taught sucked worse than hard core. Things I said in third class today:
"You're giving us homework?" asked Puppy Eyes in dejected voice.
Me: yes
Puppy Eyes: Why? (still dejected)
Me: Beacuse I'm a teacher.
Me: So what did you guys think of the reading? (keep in mind this was their only homework, to read one chapter)
Them: (nada, nothing, complete silence, I wait almost a minute)
Me: This is not a trick question? What did you think?
Them: (again silence, I wait another minute)
Me: This is not a rhetorical question (ha! I made a really bad joke since we're studying rhetorical anaylses).
Them: (abso-fucking-lutley nothing, I wait a few seconds)
Me: Anyone, Anyone? (Note, I have knowingly quoted Ben Stein in Ferris Bueller's Day Off. I made a pop culture reference that they should get. Yes I know I'm a nerd, but still.)
Them: (still silence)
Me, after telling students to write in class: Writing doesn't involve talking. (keep in mind I'm giving them the opportunity to start their homework in class)
Them: (more chattering)
Me: You need to be writing. You guys are adults. (I let the "so act like them goddamn it" remain unsaid)
Laptop Guy in Back of Row, muffled: I'm not an adult, I'm 18. (oh my god! more chattering)
Me: Write! (they did it this time)
I also made lists of who wasn't working in class. It was easy since they looked to see if I was watching everytime they started talking about something not related to the group assignment.
Freaky Weird Thing #2: Waiting on the bus part 1. 3 buses get me from College to Home. I decided against the bus that was at the bus stop when I arrived since it goes by a middle school and picks up a bunch of kids in that "I'm so annoying" stage of life. While waiting, a guy stumbled around asking people for bus fare. He said he needed to get to the doctor and had a crusty gash on his head. I didn't have a dollar, so I couldn't help him. He yelled at an invisible person to "suck on this," and asked someone to copy something that didn't exist. I'm pretty sure he really needed a doctor.
Freaky Weird Thing #3: Waiting on the bus part 2. The woman who did give Stumbling Man a dollar started screaming that "this is fucking America" and she was "waiting on the fucking bus" while waving her cigarette in the air. The older woman sitting next to her moved away. The cigarette wasn't lit, but I'm pretty sure the beach bum looking guy said something to agitate her since he replied with "When you look like her, then you can do that." He was pointing at a very thin, tall, pretty, Asian woman in buisness attire. People screaming about the Bible and homeless people having imaginary conversations are normal waiting on the bus encounters, this was not.
Freaky Weird Thing #4: The bus was full of middle schoolers! Never are there kids on this bus. 2 boys were having a slap fight (I kid you not) and loudly saying that the other had ice, making the point of clarifying that ice is indeed crystal meth. This went on forever.
Freaky Weird Thing #5: When I got off the bus, so did a lady carrying groceries who lives in my building (only I didn't know that until we got to the building). She and a friend she met on the street were chatting in another language on the elevator and both thanked me when they got off of the elevator. I don't know why they thanked me. The Grocery Lady told her friend something about me and they were obviously talking about me, but I don't know why they thanked me. I held the door for the Grocery Lady when we got off the bus, but it's not like I carried her groceries, and she thanked me for that at the bus stop.
It doesn't seem that bad when I write it all out, but it was still a weird day. And I just finshed drinking my Diet Coke with Vanilla Vodka and eating a piece of chocolate cake.
1 comment:
Its funny how things don't seem so weird when paired with chocolate cake.
:-) Hope your week gets better!
Post a Comment