So I finally gave in to the blogsphere, and now I have a blog. This was a very difficult decision, because I like to make things difficult. What kind of blog should have: personal, professional, teaching, writing (i.e. force me to write something everyday), one that documents my recent move to Island State? It was all very difficult. So I went with all of the above minus professional (as if). Then came the anonymity level - do I use first names or pseudonyms? Having read lots of writing teacher blogs (of which I am one - teacher not blog, well, ok both), I decided on all pseudonyms because I can't imagine not bitching about my students. After all, if I don't tell you about how much I am flabbergasted by their ineptitude at times, I might accidentally yell at them instead of being the nurturing, yet firm teacher who insists on responsibility, that I am.
Today was actually a good teaching day. For the first time ever, I had a class not only claim to understand what a warrant was, but actually be able to pick one out of an editorial! It was amazing. One student suggested that I draw a diagram, so I did, and they got it - "ah! Warrants are connections." Hadn't I just said those very words? So thank you international student who wanted a diagram. Then, I read them an editorial, and they found a warrant - on the first try, without looking at the editorial. Yay! I've had students eventually figure out what warrants are, but never on the first day I bring them up in class.
Also, the copier at College says I have made 1, 191 copies, which I have not. This is only the third week of class, but I do have 90 students. Yes, 90, sigh. I am teaching 5 classes. So it is very possible that I will reach 1, 191 copies at some point, but not today.
Currently, Husband and I are not making dinner. We are both supposed to be making dinner, but came home and ate cookies and so are pretending that we are not hungry. And we are both tired - I teach 5 classes, he is a graduate student and spent all day painting. So I think we will have spaghetti, even though we both want Thai red curry in coconut sauce with tofu. Curry takes a while, but it is delicious.
Have I mentioned that I live in Island State?
No comments:
Post a Comment