Friday, September 30, 2005

Some Lists & Pics

Things I like:
  1. Watching people play musical chairs on the bus
  2. Guinness (we had dinner at an Irish pub)
  3. Reading blogs by professors about being tenured. It's nice to know that they're insecure just like me. It must come from being a perfectionist. I would link to one, but really, just pick any prof blog and you'll see.
  4. Chocolate
  5. Island State
  6. Riding the bus (most of the time)
  7. My laptop
  8. When students don't have questions because they actually get it
  9. Fairy tales
  10. My friends & family - cheesy, I know

Things I've learned this week:

  1. Many of my students are too immature to handle group revision time. I'm going to have to make them fill out worksheets and work one-on-one.
  2. I have a student from Landlocked State Capitol and another from a nearby big city. I grew up in Eastern Landlocked State, smack in the middle. We recognized eachother's accents.
  3. I can write fairy tales - real ones, not just retellings.
  4. My chances of getting into the PhD program are better this year.
  5. I don't have to retake the Lit GRE, but need to break 600 on the Verbal.
  6. I know a lot about fairy tales.
  7. The magic of the Muppets is totally Jim Henson. I know, this shouldn't be a new revelation, but have you seen Statler & Waldorf lately?
  8. It rains a lot in Island State in winter. It's starting already.
  9. I can waste so much time online. For instance, Husband found the Unemployed Philosophers Guild and shared it with me. I have read every caption and enlarged every photo and calculated why I shouldn't buy about half of the items for sale. The shot glasses are my favorite. This is actually a new revelation since I'm usually a very practical internet user and don't surf.
  10. If I'm listening to Jump (Little Children) or Weezer on my ipod while on, or waiting on, the bus, I have to consciously stop myself from dancing and singing. I can't stop bobbing my head, no matter how hard I try.

Things I miss about Neville (The cat I had to leave with Sister in Landlocked State. She loves him and cares for him, and he loves her and their dogs - he chases them and plays with their tales - but I still miss him.):

  1. His super soft fur
  2. Kitty naps in the afternoon
  3. Playing tag and hide & seek
  4. When he brings me bugs - he is particularly fond of catching camel crickets, grasshoppers, cicadas, and moths
  5. Watching him sleep in crazy crooked positions and Superman poses
  6. Watching him play with rocks and rubberbands
  7. When he goes all wild eyed and attacks the bed or toy hamster or mice, and also when he carries the mice from room to room
  8. When he stands like tiger with his shoulders squared and his mouth open
  9. The fact that he is so trusting and lets you hold him up in the air
  10. When he sits in my lap and naps while I use the computer
  11. His total cuteness

No comments: