I got through my 40 papers, finished this morning. I was naughty and watched Lost instead of grading all night. So I stayed up late and got up early, then came home and napped after class. I was awoken by a phonecall from my sister. She and her husband will be visiting us from Landlocked State in the Spring and was asking about hotels and plane ticket prices. She is very excited; I am too. By the time Sister and Brother-in-law arrive, I will have lived here for 7 months!
Husband and I arrived in Island State the first week of August this year. It was the end of August before our stuff arrived. It was actually supposed arrive the same week as us, but someone at the moving company sent it to the wrong island - idiots. They also sent us someone else's big expensive mirror and haven't called back to schedule picking it up. Husband is going to email our "you charged us too much and broke our stuff" claim this week. Hopefully they will have some news about the mirror then. I feel bad for the people to whom it belongs.
I gave my "I am neither your parole officer nor your mother" speech in two of my classes today, which contains the famous line, "You have the right to fail," which came from a teacher I worked with at Previous College, but I can't remember who. When I do, I'll give her credit. Anyway, the drafts of the first essay weren't great. Only one out of the 40 was actually "A" material, and most were not really eassays, at least not yet. But they have time; they will learn. I also discovered that getting drunk seems to be the pass time of way too many first year students. It played an important role in many of the experiences they were writing about.
Vickie has seen one of the last Jump (Little Children) shows, ever. I am insanely jealous and actually cried when I read her post. I have been a Jump fan since 1996. That Spring was the first time I saw them in concert and the last was in 2004. I went to every show I could feasibly go to when they played nearby. And now I live in Island State, a place where they will never come, while they are preforming their last tour. I wholeheartedly enjoy their music and will miss their live shows. They are an awesome live band. At one show, they broke out into "Enter Sandman" after calling each other on their cell phones in order to play the ring tones, all of which were songs. It was fun because they had so much fun. I have yet to buy their last CD (Between the Glow and the Light EP) or any new tshirts (I have one of the first ones), and their DVD seems to be no longer available. Okay, must stop being sad. Am grown woman. Will carry on. Somehow.
Right. On a completely different note, I have gone crazy. I washed dishes 4 times on Saturday. 4 times! Today is the first day I have not washed dishes since our dishes arrived a month ago, and it is taking all of my willpower, including saying to myself outloud "no!," to keep from washing them right now. I hate washing dishes, as Husband, Sister, Mother and Father can confirm. I used to take on extra chores just to get out of washing dishes, and now I have snapped. I wash dishes all the time. I have come home from class and immediately washed the dishes from breakfast. What the hell is wrong with me? I fear I am becoming an adult. Husband says that I should not be afraid of change. That's easy for him to say; he's not the one who can't stop washing dishes.
1 comment:
=( Don't cry, Tree. They miss you!
Get the EP, and download it from iTunes--it costs half as much there.
And this is weird, but I have been compulsively dishwashing--all the freakin' time. It's whack. I think it's cause it's pretty much the only task I do in a day that has a definite end. Everything else just keeps spilling over into the next day, and the next, and the next...
Post a Comment