Is it a bad sign that I come home from the first department meeting of the semester and immediately finish off the ice cream?
It wasn't a bad meeting or anything. Shorter than usual, lots of announcements. The two things that needed further discussion were quickly pointed out to be big enough to need their own meeting, and we moved on. But the underlying message I got from the meeting was that the department has been rolling along without evaluating how we do things, and rather than keep on keepin' on, we need to evaluate some practical aspects of the operation. And we need everybody to be in on the dept-wide decision making instead of just a few (or one) people. Most people just keep quiet in these meetings except for making bad jokes (so not the right time or place), which is why I think things are rolling along as usual. Outside of meetings, they express dissatisfaction; inside, not so much.
Is that vague enough?
No comments:
Post a Comment