Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Ella Enchanted

Don't read Ella Enchanted. It is horrible and I regret listening to it as an audio book. I'm not putting it on my little list in the sidebar because I skipped parts of it (because it is horrible) and didn't actually read it. I know listening counts, but it feels a little like cheating.

If you must know about Ella Enchanted watch the movie instead. It at least nods at feminism. In the book, when Ella who has been cursed with obedience finally breaks her curse, there's this inner monologue she (as narrator) gives that is all about how the love of a good man gave her strength. And the narrator actually says that her life, her safety, and her happiness were not enough to break the curse. Only the hypothetical danger to the life of the man she loves (because someone could turn her curse against him) was enough for her to have the courage to do what she wanted despite the obedience curse. That's right the abuse from her stepfamily and the actual danger to her life were not important enough for her to find courage.

It makes me sick. I cannot belive that this book was a Newbery Honor book ten years ago. And the woman who read the book was annoying.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

:::whispering:::

I love that book.

Tree of Knowledge said...

You can love it. I like the concept, and I like parts of it, and I enjoyed the movie. But I had been told great feminist things about it and found it lacking. The little speech at the end really did piss me off though.