It's been a good and rather productive week. I like not collecting papers from every class every week. When I make up my syllabi, I think of my students - what they need - not what I need, and usually end up collecting more assignments than I really have time to grade. But I teach a front-loaded class.
If the students are learning, then they should be stronger students at the end of the semester and not need my help as much. So in the beginning, I take up assignments and give lots of feedback. In the middle and end of the semester, they're supposed to rely on themselves and each other. Part of becoming a good writer is learning to critique writing, which translates into workshops in class, meaning that I don't have to take up drafts. I do take up drafts for their "big" paper at the end, but we also workshop those more thoroughly.
I have lots of complaints that I could be making (do your students doodle hearts and flowers on their quizzes!?), but really I'm just happy to have a reasonable amount of grading that can be completed leisurely and without stress.
I am freaking out a bit about not knowing about funding for the PhD program though. I really need to tell my current program chair if I will be teaching there next semester, and the idea of teaching full time and working on a PhD is scary. My Program Chair told me just to call the Other Dept's Graduate Chair and ask if they've made decisions yet, explaining why I need to know. But I hate calling people. I was thinking of just sending an email to the dept. secretary asking when I could expect to find out about funding. That seems more informal and less pressury. Your thoughts?
...and 7 days till birthday.
No comments:
Post a Comment