Saturday, March 04, 2006

Anxiety Confessional

I'm about to start my day of grading (after I read the comics) and thought I should post now before I can't think anymore. Lest you think I have been lazy, it is 9:53 a.m. and I have read the news, emailed all of the people I haven't had time to email in the last week or two, and sent a friend the write-up from a brainstorming session on a book she's working on.

I woke up at eight after a night of anxiety dreams. My first thought this morning was "discourse analysis" - one of the many assignments I need to grade today, um, this weekend. I had a dream in which I couldn't pick out Husband's artwork from a gallery show - nothing looked like his and all of the signatures were too tiny to read. All of the paintings looked like the bright cut-outs made for elementary school classrooms - apples, rulers, buttons. I couldn't find a trash can at the show because all of the things that looked like trash cans were sculptures. And there were artists there making candy canes. I also dreamt about grading and making masks.

Husband and I were invited to a stranger's birthday party tonight - it's a masquerade. It actually sounds like a lot of fun, but I don't want to go. Husband asked if I really think I will be grading tonight, and I don't. But not having a commitment tonight means that I can take sunshine breaks today and not worry about the time frame. And I'd rather just spend time with Husband - someone I see very little of during the week (unless you count sleeping or falling asleep in the living room). I need to do something outside every weekend to keep my sanity, and today is a beautiful day after days of heavy rainfall. Will it rain tomorrow? These are all just excuses. I just don't want to go to the party. I"m tired and want time to myself when I'm not tired. I want to do what I want, not what other people want me to do.

In middle school (I think), I was invited to a friend's birthday slumber party. I said yes, then when the day came, I really didn't want to go. I wanted to read and play in the woods. I cried trying to figure out what to do. My mom would not call and cancel for me, so eventually I decided to call my friend. I think I told her I didn't feel well (which was the truth by that point), and that I was really sorry. She said it was ok, and the following week at school we were still friends - no big deal. But not much has changed in my ability to tell people "no."

I don't know why I get so worked up about parties. Sometimes I don't want to go, go, and have a great time. Other times, I don't want to go, go, and am miserable. I think Husband wants to go. Why do I have such a hard time putting me first? And why do I feel such guilt when I attempt to do so?

1 comment:

Ilnizzzah said...

This hit me hard. I'm going through a period of anx right now, and don't know how to shake it. Its hard to put yourself first, harder especially when there is so much going on around you and when you've been taught (by whoever) that you shouldn't.

I'm thinking bout you and hoping you are doing well....