Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Mood Swings

I was going to post yesterday (but was too busy grading and watching Ranma 1/2) about how I was in a much better mood because on Monday I decided to give my students a reflective writing assignment where they evaluate their progress in the class so far, state their goals, decide if they're happy with their progress, and discuss what needs to change so that they can meet their goals.

And many came to recognize the error of their ways (Oh shit, Ms. Knowledge. I haven't done anything. That last paper was the hardest thing I've ever written. I'm good at writing, so why am I getting Cs? I need to get my head together. I'm bein' so lazy and now I have to play catch up. I have got to start asking questions when I don't understand something. I have to start my papers before the day before they're do.).

It was a soul-saving exercise for me. No more "Ms. Knowledge, you're too hard on us" because they actually realized that THEY are responsible for their education. Either that or they know how to suck up. But I felt better. And I think most of them did too. I saw smiles that I hadn't seen in weeks.

And then today happened. Bye-bye good mood. (See it? Over there in the distance, dangling from the talon of that crested hawk?) Nothing *bad* happened. I didn't get any grading done (but I do still have a few hours left), but everything else went as expected, if not planned. My T/R students get the writing assignment Thursday, so maybe that's all it is. They haven't been prompted to see the light yet. General malaise blanketed my day like a think, rolling fog that covers a heathered moor. (obviously, my Romantic gene just kicked in - note the big "R" there).

But I came home, and to my surprise, received an early birthday present from my dad. And that made me happier - yay Daddy! (Am a Southern girl, can still say "daddy"). I have also been ingesting vast amounts of chocolate - yay chocolate!

And you should watch Ranma too (link to first season dvd only).

No comments: