I've been super busy the last few days with work. Argh. So I have a teacherly question to pose (although you don't have to be a teacher to answer; multiple perspectives would help me out here):
How do you deal with "do-overs"? A student turns in a crappy paper (D-F range), partly because she or he just didn't follow directions. Do you
A) Let the student keep the D/F she (or he) earned. I mean, these are adults here.
B) Make her redo the assignment and turn it in the next class period and re-grade, replacing the old grade with the new one.
C) Make her redo the assignment, but average the old and new grades together.
D) Round up to a C- (lowest "passing" grade for particular course) because the assignment does show that she is capable of doing the work (but didn't for whatever reason) and you don't want to read any more damn essays.
E) Other - please explain.
I've considered all, and done all at various periods in my teaching career, but I'd like to know what others do (or think should be done) because I'm not happy with what I'm doing now.
Additionally, late work--yay or nay? (I've had lots of sick students with the all powerful doctor's note lately.)
All of this stems from that fact that I am too busy and have realized that my busyness is because of two reasons:
1) I am too nice/easy, and
2) I have control issues, as in "need to be in," as in I go handout happy and do too much.
4 comments:
As a teacher, you want your students to learn. Part of learning is trial and error. Crappy paper being the trial and error. So, I say the student should be able to redo the paper with direction on what to do differently. I would average the grades together. That is more acurate of a reflection of the student's abilty and motivation.
-Sister
Good advice Sister.
It's tough--I don't like allowing them in some cases b/c bad students will turn in the same paper with, you know, one sentence changed. And yet, I no longer take up and respond to drafts!!!! So, it's almost like I have to. I'm asking for revisions, but they have to meet with me in my office and go over it. In both my classes I have 27 students (max here) so I'm busy and also wouldn't mind seeing some decide to withdraw and then retake the class with a bit more energy and enthusiasm.
-CB
CB: So how do you grade the revisions?
Post a Comment