Monday, October 10, 2005

Tree Goes to the Library

Husband likes how I keep updating my avatar. This week, Avatar Tree is going to the library because my classes have library sessions. I want them to know where the library is, not fear it, and maybe enter it on their own one day. Why is it that undergraduates fear the library? I understand the convenience of researching at 2am in your pjs, but they have to walk by the library all of the time. Why not enter it, just to see what books look like? Remember books? Those things we read before the internet? Okay, so the internet hasn't replaced books yet, but it sure has put print journals on the endangered species list. Did you know that you can do scholarly research from your own computer at 2am in your pjs, if only you know how to access your library's databases? This is a skill my students will learn this week, I hope.

I have been too busy to go to the public library, but when we first moved here, I was getting at least 2 books and 2 dvds per week. Now I miss having time to read for fun. I used to love checking out books from the library as a kid. I read our school's entire Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys collection one year. Then moved on to The Little House Series (Laura Ingalls Wilder) and the Little Women series (Louisa May Alcott), neither of which I enjoyed that much. I think after that I hit the science shelves.

This reminds me of thread I found on the SurLaLune Fairy Tales discussion board and am too lazy to search for in the archives. Which books do you hate that you're supposed to like? or Which books are you afraid to admit to not liking?
  1. The Scarlet Letter - never finished chapter one
  2. The Old Man and the Sea - Why do we have to read books that we're too young to get in middle school?
  3. Wicked - Everyone else loved it, but me? Not so much. Actually I haven't enjoyed any of Maguire's books. He seems to set up these rules for the universes in his books and then stops following those rules 30-50 pages from the end. I also get engrossed in the books, only to have them end without any real resolution. Humbug.
Actually, I never really liked many of the books forced on us in school. Someone always seemed to die.

1 comment:

shakabusatsu said...

Someone does always die, I didn't care for A Seperate Peace by John Knowles, and didn't feel sad about Phineas' death.
-shakabusatsu