I have wanted to see Serenity since it came out a few weeks ago. And every freakin' weekend I was too busy, but today I made time. Husband and I missed the last matinee, so we wandered around the mall and bought a few clearance items. Then we watched the best movie I have seen in a long time.
If you like Firefly, then of course you'll like Serenity. If you like sci-fi, then of course you'll like Serenity. If you like Buffy the Vampire Slayer or Angel, then of course you'll like Serenity. But if you like comedies, action, drama, and a splash of romance (just a splash mind you), then you'll also like Serenity. If you like cowboy movies, war movies, and classic good guy vs. bad guy movies, then you'll like Serenity. If you like buddy movies, then you'll like Serenity. If you like good and entertaining movies, then you will like Serenity.
I read that this movie would please sci-fi fans (but can't find the review). But that's not doing you non sci-fi people justice. Serenity is a well made movie with great acting and writing and some visually stunning scenes. Sure it takes place in space, but as any sci-fi fan knows, that's just a backdrop. Good sci-fi doesn't rely on space for the plot. "Cowboys in space" is what I've been calling Serenity. And I think it fits and is a compliment. It has all that's great about both film genres but still presents it in an accessible way. I think that anyone who can dismiss the label "sci-fi" and walk in prepared to be entertained will enjoy the film. Even sci-fi haters should be able to find something worthwhile in Serenity.
I also read a review that stated that Joss Whedon leaves the comment on society, the "lesson" if you will, till the end and that not stringing that throughout the film was a mistake (again, can't find the review). To that I say baulderdash. The deeper meaning of the film is delivered with a light touch - light enough that it doesn't break the spell cast by the film, but you still get it once the movie's over. Anything else would have been heavy-handed in a film that relies on comedy to get you through the tense moments (gracefully done too I might add). Besides, the ending shouldn't be a surprise to people who followed Firefly or anyone who is the least bit suspicious of authority, perfection, or a "we know what's best for you" mentality. It's not obvious mind you, but it just makes sense and is set up from the first scene.
Serenity is funny; there is a strain of humor that runs from beginning to end and is well done. The characters are real and acted superbly. I got all teary in the emotional scenes. The end is so intense that I left with a slight headache from clenching my jaw so tight for so long, and Husband and I gripped eachother's hands for a good 20 minutes from the tension. I got so caught up in the end that despite being well versed in the ways of movies and knowing full well how movies like this end, I didn't know what was going to happen. I mean, logically I knew how it was going to end, and my rational elf* was whispering in my ear to calm down, but at that moment, I believed what I saw on the screen and emotionally just didn't know what to expect. It was riveting. It was fun. I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Husband and I paid full price. I'd pay full price to see it again. And if no one buys me the Firefly and Serenity dvds for Christmas, I'll just have to do it myself.
*Don't be alarmed. I have a theory about elves and the way the human brain really works. I'll share one day, just don't let me forget.
No comments:
Post a Comment