Saturday, October 15, 2005

Congratulations Julie & Nathan!

Today, two of my good friends are getting married in South Carolina. Husband and I live a little too far away to attend for the weekend, so we can't be there. I haven't seen them in ages because we all live so far away, but I'm super happy for them. They're not rushing into anything, have gotten to know each other as friends, and made a good logical, as well as emotional, choice. (I know it's weird to say "logical," but the Beatles were wrong - forgive me John - love is not all you need). It was really just a matter of time, and the rest of us have been waiting. They've also bought a house - just one more grown up thing to do.

Those of you who know me know that Husband and I married very young (21 & 19) and very quickly (11 months from meeting to marriage). But we've been married for 8 years so far, and I attribute that to realistic ideas of marriage (none of that Happily Ever After bullshit), excellent communication skills (the only arguments we have ever had have been over the need to communicate more clearly), and logical decision making. Even though I cry when the wind changes, neither of us makes emotional decisions that affect our relationship. It's kinda sad that 8 years is considered a long time by so many people when they ask how long we've been married, but I just tell them that it was the right decision and we make it work.

I say all of this because I think my friends are well paired and will have a successful marriage. I'm not sure what their 3 things will be to make their marriage last, but I'm positive that they'll figure it out. While love isn't everything, it does tend to make the other things easier. So yay Julie & Nathan! Happy wedding! I wish I was there, and I know you won't be reading this because you're getting married!

Click note - you know who you are. We're doing the t-shirts. Expect an email.

I couldn't help myself, from The Princess Bride:

IMPRESSIVE CLERGYMAN

(clears his throat, begins to speak)

Mawidge...mawidge is what bwings us togewer today...
Mawidge, the bwessed awwangement, that dweam wiffim a dweam...
... Ven wuv, twoo wuv, wiw fowwow you fowever..
... so tweasuwe your vruv..
Have you the wing?
And do you, Pwincess Buwwercwup...
Man and wife.

No comments: