Friday, January 28, 2011

This means war.

There are ants living in my keyboard. I have a line. They crossed it.

I live in a tropical paradise, that means that bugs do not stay outside of the house. We have ants and roaches. We all have ants and roaches. The roaches are not bad in this house at all, probably because we don't share walls with neighbors so our roach-defeating tactics (namely, no food left out) work. We had an ant colony in the last apartment. When we were moving out, they were trying to move into our linen closet (no, you can't live in the towels I washed last week). They once tried to move into an orchid. But they weren't everywhere. These are everywhere and they bite; I hate them.

Also, we have mosquitoes. I hate them too. And rats. We haven't seen any rats inside, nor any evidence of inside rats, but we know they live outside, and I can hear them in the bedroom wall, so I know they have a way to get from attic to under the house without going through our space. We are slowly corralling the rats outs--blocking up passages under the house and into the attic, removing food and nesting sources (palm trees), traps. They're cute and I understand why people keep rats as pets, but they can't live in my bedroom wall.

It could be much worse, but I still feel like I could be on an infested reality show (The Knowledge family had no idea what lurked beneath their home...)

2 comments:

crookedtoes said...

Similarities are funny. http://mycrookedtoes.blogspot.com/2008/08/its-on-now-baby.html

delagar said...

We had ants this summer. Same thing -- when they moved into my Mac Mini, they had to Go. It had been live & let live up to them, b/c I am very tree-huggy and ants are good people, from what I understand of ecosystems. But my computer! No!

I used some sort vile insecticide. A semi-liquid goop that you smear on all your borders. Sadly, it did the trick. If I could remember its name I would tell it to you.