So I had/am having another migraine this week. It started Wed. night, about an hour before a big-ass storm hit. There was lightning. We rarely have lightning in Island State. Anyway, I took a Frova and that worked. Yesterday was fine, but it came back today after I went to the dentist (I have lovely clean teeth that are flatter than normal for a person my age--grinding, but a night guard is $400 and not covered by insurance). Another Frova today and I am feeling functional now, but I am feeling some pressure in my face.
But, the last two big-ass storms that we had also happened to happen on the same day that I developed a migraine. So I've been reading on the internet about weather and migraines. The articles I trust all cite reputable sources (including Dr. Saper at MHNI, where I went as teen for my 3-year migraine and they saved my life). Anyway, there's not one type of weather that triggers migraines, but it's when there is a change. Migraine people (I am not using migraineurs) are apparently very sensitive to sensory changes. That's why the flickering of florescent bulbs can cause migraines. I have light, odor, and hormone triggers. I can now add weather to the list.
This also makes some sense to me in how stress is a trigger for me. (This is all my own reasoning in this para., so no sources). I tend to get migraines after a stressful situation. I pass my exams and then spend two days in bed. So what I think it is is the change in hormones that triggers the migraine--that release of adrenaline and whatever other hormones are built up during stress responses. Not the emotional stress, but the changes in brain chemistry when the stress chemicals drop off.
Also, I had a breakthrough with my menstrual migraines. Did I tell you this? My doctor prescribed a diuretic to take when I'm having my period. He had me start two days before, but I think because I'm still adjusting to the 3-months at a time pill schedule it was too late because I had a migraine the week before my period and I was spotting. But when I started the diuretic, bam! no more migraine. No migraine that whole week. For the first time in ever. Quite possibly since I was 10-years old. I really can't remember having my period and not having a migraine. So yay! It has to do with water retention. So I'm guessing that the sudden change in fluid levels frustrates my brain.
Isn't that a cute anthropomorphic idea? I see a sad little brain getting so frustrated when it senses sudden changes. It doesn't know what to do, so it flails it little brain arms in the air and just starts turning knobs and pushing buttons trying to fix the problem. And then it's house floods with all the chemical mess, and it's just hanging on to a big piece of furniture, trying to stay afloat until the chemical flood recedes. Poor frustrated brain.
Did I mention I'm medicated right now?
1 comment:
I am passing the diuretic idea on to my useless doctor.
I also get migraines with weather shifts, which, since we have thunderstorms every two minutes in NW Arkansas, you can imagine.
Post a Comment