Saturday, January 15, 2011

I need books.

Ahhhh! There are books that I need and the libraries don't have them, so I'm going to ILL them. But it's frustrating because I'm sure at least two of them are worth owning. Usually I use xmas present money to buy a shitload of books. But, Husband is currently sans job. So we decided to use the xmas money (and birthday present money) to pay bills. Then, when he has a job, we will buy stuff for ourselves not exceeding the total amount of present money. So I've been looking at the books on Amazon, and writing this post has talked me out of making the purchase. ILL takes a while, but it will have to do as things like food and electricity are more important. Maybe I can borrow from people I know too.

6 comments:

Tree of Knowledge said...

And just to show that I'm not totally ignoring previous advice and using reading to not write . . . I'm filling in research for a theory section in which I propose a new way of looking at this problem. While not my "so what," this section is the connective tissue for the diss. In my field no one talks about this problem this way, so now I'm looking at new research in the big scary theory field I am using. And I am working from a draft. And I know this sounds like a justification.

Anonymous said...

What books?

Tree of Knowledge said...

They're all narrative theory books for my diss. Although there is a Mercy Thompson paperback on my list I'll find a way to afford when it comes out in 2 weeks. It's less than $30. :)

Tree of Knowledge said...

I wasn't going to post the titles b/c who is going to mail books to Island state for a loan? But Husband said I should, so

Narrative Dynamics: Richardson
Narrative and Media: Fulton
Cambridge Companion to Narrative: Herman
Marvelous Geometry: Tiffin
Beginnings: Said

I can get the one chapter I need from Beginnings through Google Books. And it's in two of the anthologies on the list. But I think ILL will be fine as it will also help me figure out which ones I really should buy.

delagar said...

I totally feel your pain. We had to use our Xmas money to pay bills this season too. And I need books also. Sad, sad, sad.

Anthea said...

Oh no....but I know the feeling.