I need to go get dressed in teacher clothes and head into to school. Last night I went to bed with a migraine. Luckily it started at bedtime (very considerate if it), so I just took a Frova, and went to bed. But I slept in this morning because when the alarm went off (we have it set to "Claire de Lune" right now*), I felt like something was crawling around in my head. Alarm off, back to bed. So now, I've had a cup of coffee, still have a crawling brain--but no pain!--and am without energy. No diss work this morning. On my schedule, it says that's okay.* Grr. Off to work, so I can come home to work.
Oh! The goddamn library emailed me and said that it is not okay for me to bring in my 3 sections of RESEARCH writing for library instruction twice this semester. I can go once, and not the day that I actually I need librarian knowledge. I can teach the second day because I know all of that stuff. What I don't know is the material for the first day of instruction. The bastards. I know that they are understaffed, and I sympathize, but goddamn it I need the library! I need librarian knowledge, and I need the students to be in the library because I can't take the reference books into my classroom. I don't know what to do and I am pissed off. I hate them. Before I got here, the librarian instruction was piddling. Because I take all of my classes, at all levels, it has boomed. Because adjuncts get my syllabus as a model, it has boomed. Becasue I talk up how important it is and how much it helps MY students, it has boomed. Now my students get screwed.
*I don't know why you need to know this.
**Yes, I actually wrote "it's okay to have off days" on my "ideal" work schedule.
3 comments:
I has migraine today too. Sad us.
can I just say that at our library we would never turn down a library instruction opportunity? (now watch I might have to take it back if it ever gets too crazy here) We did a total of 26 sessions in one week once (split between two of us librarians) because of a 24 section introductory class... and if we can do that (and close to that a second week - the 24 sections) I think we could handle a much larger load than we currently have if we needed to. (I'm pretty sure our director and our other non-reference and instruction librarians would even step in to pick up the slack if we ever got to the point where we were going to have to turn down instruction sessions - its a big priority for us, and we'd LOVE to have that problem, instead of the problem of whole departments that don't utilize instruction services)
So all that just to say - I'm sorry you're having such issues from your library...
Thanks, anon. They are "working with me" to give me materials to cover the class on my own. But seriously, who turns down library instruction to first-year students? They are really understaffed, so I get that it's difficult, but they had to know that this was coming. My office mate is having similar problems because she also usually goes multiple times, so at least it's not just me. And we decided to use this as an opportunity for official complaints, in hopes that the head librarian can use it as documentation for needing a larger budget. (We're understaffed because we don't pay our librarians enough to keep them).
Post a Comment