Sunday, January 09, 2011

January is face swelling month

So yesterday my face started to swell slightly. It's not really noticeable--my face is more square than its usual oval--but it hurts. I've been tired and running a low fever (just 99s, no big deal) since Wednesday. I was hoping it was just a mild cold that would disappear if I just slept a lot. But no. My jaw is swollen. So I'll be calling my doctor in the morning if all is not well tomorrow. Last year at the end of January, I had a crazy neck swelling problem (one sided). The nurses stared at me--that's how bad it was. But my doctor had no clue what it was, gave me antibiotics in hopes that it would work, and everything went back to normal in a week. Maybe I've started a new tradition--January is face swelling month.

In other news, I'm not adjusting well to the fact that our lanai is the hangout spot. People drop by uninvited all the time to watch sports and drink. Sometimes Husband hangs out with them; sometimes he works. Our friend who lives in the in-law unit in the back usually hangs out with them. When he's not working, he's usually on the lanai anyway. Which has a big tv (hence the sports). It's next to my office, so I hear everything. I can ignore some if it, but they're usually loud. Husband tells me I just have to tell them they're being too loud. But I would feel like such a bitch saying that. I don't feel like that space is mine, even though I pay the rent for it. They were there first. Our friend was there first. They're just having fun. I'm not a very social person. I'm not a sports fan, I don't drink a lot, and I don't smoke and prefer not to be around smoke. So, I don't hang out very often. They're nice people. Anyway, I'm conflicted. I feel like I'm being unreasonable, even though logically I don't think I am. I keep telling Husband that it'll just take me a while to get used to it, but I think he thinks I'm being silly. And I don't know if this will work.

1 comment:

delagar said...

Well, yeah, but you *are* paying rent for it, and you aren't being a bitch -- you need to work. They're just messing, right?

Are these your friends or husband's friends? If they're his, then he should set the rules -- keep the TV down low during working hours.

If they're mutual friends, then yeah, you should tell them. You're writing a dissertation right there. Keep it down, okay? They'll be cool with it unless they're tools. They're not tools, I'm guessing, or you wouldn't be friends with them.