Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Motivate Me

How do you motivate yourself to work on a writing project? I am motivationless at the moment. I have been working on my diss, doing something every day except for the three where I just slept and felt like crap (the face-swelling went down on its own, so no doc visit). I am working. It's been mostly reading oriented. I need to read more stuff on this one concept so that I can place my idea about it in context. So maybe that's why I feel unmotivated. I did reread my draft yesterday and made some big plans for organizing (I think it may have to split into 2 chapters, but I'm not sure), but there's no point in rewriting until I get this theory stuff taken care of. Tomorrow I'll be heading to the library for a little while; I have 6 books on my list. I guess I'll look through some online journals now.

3 comments:

delagar said...

You're giving me flashbacks.

The way I motivated myself, once I was through the research-gathering stage, was I cut myself a deal: 1000 words a day. Once I'd written 1000 words I was done for the day. I wrote the first draft in four weeks that way.

Then I had something on paper and I could go back revise -- revision took, I think, seven or ten months. It took awhile. I had to fill in a lot of research and my horrible dissertation director kept deciding I had to read THIS BOOK TOO!! but eventually I got a job and we HAD to finish the horrible thing, so we did.

The point is: just write it. No one will ever care as much about this dissertation as you do right now.

Anthea said...

Yes, delagar is right. Just write it. By reading you're only putting off the day of having to put pen to paper. Find some way of motivating yourself and start getting something on paper. I had a detailed plan so that I knew exactly what was in each chapter. But the bottom line is that the only person who really cares about it at the moment is you.

Anonymous said...

Van By the River.