Saturday, June 20, 2009

Nope, I Don't Get It

Read New Moon. Was very bored. Only finished it because a student gave me the two books, and I felt guilty about not appreciating them. No tingly bits at all in #2.

I know smart women who like these books,* and I like trashy escapist fiction, but I hate Bella Swan (and Edward, and the writing, and the total absence of plot...but mostly Bella). I kept rooting for Victoria (who isn't even in the book! how can the villain not make an appearance?). Yeah, so I'm going back to ignoring Twilight. I was happier then.

I hunted this down to reread as a cleanse of some kind.


*I really did try to like them, and I kinda feel bad that I don't. But I read lots of stupid stuff myself, so I'm not judging.

3 comments:

Carrie said...

Yes! Another one comes to the dark side! I only read the first one. It was fun at first, but I quickly lost interest. I don't get it at all. I'malways happy when I find someone else who doesn't like it either. Makes me feel less alone *lol*.

delagar said...

I kind of liked the writing -- I mean, I can see she has talent -- but I'm with you otherwise. Bella's such a good woman, you know, as opposed to her evil mama who's been so mean to that good daddy? Won't even cook him the dinners of steak and potatoes that he likes? (Which Bella totally does! And she LIKES old trucks!) And then can't take care of her child...runs off with some boytoy to find herself...

Gah.

Tree of Knowledge said...

@ delager

It was an easy read. She's got some nice phrases and scenes, but the books (at least the two I read) don't have enough material to be book-length, and she's not got the skill to pull it off.

Maybe the other two are better written though. That would make sense.