Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Blog Depression

I haven't abandoned my blog. I've thought about it. I haven't felt like blogging for a while. I think it's because I've been so caught up in work and school. Last semester was insane. This one will probably be more so. I'm taking my qualifying exams this semester. I'm supposed to anyway. I feel terribly behind.

You know the scene in the first Harry Potter book when Harry flies on a broomstick for the first time? Harry has been told NOT TO FLY while the prof. is gone or he'll be expelled (the whole class has been told this). But Harry does to get Neville's rememberall back from Malfoy, and Prof. McGonagall catches him. She is walking him into the castle, and she is speechless. All the way, Harry is imagining the very worst--getting expelled, going back to the Dursley's, losing his friends, people laughing at him--it just keeps getting worse and worse, and he makes each scenario more painful than the first. He's like that quite a bit, isn't he--always expecting the worst from himself. I feel a lot like Harry. I really hope that Oliver Wood is behind the door I'm heading toward and not utter failure.

I just can't seem to imagine this semester going well. I can only see the giant disaster movie looming ahead. So, I've been trying not blog my massive squirrelly stress, which means I haven't been blogging.

Oh well. I have highlighters and an organizer to cheer me up. While I tend to be all organized, I've never broken out the highlighters before. I color-code teaching things, yes, but not my calendar. But this feels like a semester for extreme organization.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ugh. I'm sorry. I hate feeling like there's doom ahead and knowing there's very little I can do about it. This is trite, and probably not at all comforting but the semester will be over before you know it. And it would probably be beneficial if you blog about your stress. I always feel 10 times better about life once I get my worries off my chest.

Christ almighty...I'm such a middle age mom.