You may have heard that there was an earthquake in Island State Sunday morning at 7:07 a.m. It was a 6.7 on the Kona side of the Big Island. I certainly felt it as my 9th floor apartment was swaying. The ENTIRE island of Big City Island was without power for most of Sunday (that's where I live). We were without power for 14.5 hours. Grading by candle light is not all that fun.
There were no fatalities or major injuries. The Big Island lost some roads, had some mudslides (heavy rains), and has some buildings with structural damage. There was damage to some of the older buildings on Big City Island too. It was really amazing how well things went considering that there was an earthquake. The Big Island has quakes all of the time (there's that whole active volcano thing), but they're small.
Yesterday, everything went on as normal. It was kinda bizarre. The whole event was pretty stress-free. Is this normal earthquake behavior or is Island State just weird? Maybe it's that Aloha thing I keep hearing about.
No comments:
Post a Comment