Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Speed

People here move slowly. You can actually tell if someone was born on the islands or moved to the islands based on how fast she/he walks. Locals (and by this I mean people who were born and raised here) amble; actually they move one speed slower than an amble. In the grocery store, sometimes you (meaning me) can't get to your husband with the shopping cart because three aunties have spread out across the aisle and are leisurely enjoying the view of the bread.

I have never actually lived anywhere "fast-paced." I am by no means a fast walker. I often have to tell husband to slow down when we walk to the grocery store or ice cream parlor. But I am a trail blazer here on the islands.

Last night we met some friends a few blocks away to walk to the fireworks (about a 15-20 minute walk). We were worried about getting there late because they were bringing two small children. I figured we would be strolling or ambling to the fireworks. But no, the kids were in strollers and none of us were born here, so we flew to the fireworks. I sweated on that walk. And we just passed people by.

The highlight of the walk though, was the 2/3-year-old who was throwing fireworks INTO the crowd of walking people. He was young enough to possibly not understand that fireworks hurt, but his parents seemed remiss in providing the child with weapons.

I'm not sure if I'm complaining about the speed at which people walk here, but it speaks to the character of the islands (of course, I've only been to the one island that I live on). Everything is slower - no hurries, no worries.

No comments: