Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Drink Up Me Hearties, Yo Ho!

I was going to try to not watch Pirates of the Caribbean 2 until I went back to Hometown in 2 weeks, but Husband came home and said, "let's go see a movie," and Pirates was the only one we both agreed was worth full price to see. So I watched it, and I loved it. Fun, fun, fun - a summer action flick with comedy.

Some people - pro critics, bloggers, and random people - have said that the movie is action with no meaning, no plot, and that Johnny Depp is a sell-out. And my response is, what were you expecting - a great Shakespearean drama? It's a summer blockbuster about pirates based on a Disney ride about pirates that has to set up a third movie (out May 2007) about pirates. I thought the movie was a lot of fun, which is what I was hoping it was going to be.

I'm not going to go into any spoiler detail though. It didn't feel like 2 and a half hours long, and I was disappointed when it was over because I wasn't ready for it to end. I'm glad it's only a year till the next one. Husband and I agree that the most interesting part is the play between Captain Jack Sparrow and Elizabeth Swan that is somewhat in the first one - "You want to be a pirate." "No, you want to be good." In that, Sparrow (I can't call characters by the actors' names - it just seems silly) makes a comment about piracy that seems to sum up the current allure and romanticizing of piracy - (I'm doing this from memory, so mind the paraphrasing) "it's about freedom - the freedom to do what you want, when you want, because you want to." Which is opposed to Swan's "it's takes courage to do the right thing and think about others." The film dialogue is a bit better than mine, but that's the gist of it. And then I really like the stuff about the compass.

That's about all I can get into without going into spoilers, but I will say that I think the film has a little more substance than some people are giving it credit for. The action and fun just overpowers the substance (which I think it was meant to do), and it seems like a lot of the substance suggested in this one will be important to and resolved in the third movie.

2 comments:

Eddie said...

I just wanted to say that Orlando Bloom is a cutie.

Tree of Knowledge said...

Eddie - Yes he is! I didn't used to think that he is anything special, but there is a scene at the end that totally changed my mind.