I just watched this guy in the laundry room take three light colored dress shirts and put them in one dryer and two dark pair of dress pants in another dryer and start them both. That's it - no underwear, socks t-shirts, shorts, nuthin'. And I'm like dude, really? Two dryers for five items of clothing? I had to stop myself from giving a laundry lecture. I can kinda understand the washing separately - I guess I can see him not wanting his black waiter's pants dingying up his white waiter's shirt, but seriously, these were not natural fibers - all poly. So why the strict segregation? And in the dryer no less? There ain't no cotton in those clothes to make lint, so white fuzz on the dark pants really shouldn't be a problem. I don't think this guy knows WHY one separates clothing when washing; instead he must just remember random "chore" rules from being a kid.
In the elevator:
4th Floor Lady: It's so good to be done, yah? (Nodding at my full basket of dry and unfolded towels)
In Island State, locals tend to signify a question by ending it in "yah," pronounced just like that - short - not "yeah," which I read as a longer sound. It isn't pidgin though, at least I don't think so. It mostly happens at the end of full-on english sentences, spoken to haoles like me (aka "white people" - haole is both a racial slur and just a synonym for white, although even just when used to mean "white" it tends to denote a divide. There's an undertone of white people being clueless of Hawaiian and Local culture even in the more positive meaning (at least that I've noticed). It is both a Hawaiian word (meaning foreigner) and a Pidgin word (denoting white person, connoting a wide range of things) - not a word to be thrown around lightly I think. Why am I on this particular tangent in the middle of my riveting transcription of elevator dialogue?
Me: (smiling) Yah. And it's so busy today too.
4FL: Yah. I should be doin that right now, but instead I eat my candy.
She is indeed eating a chocolate candy bar of the new "lets make an ultimate candy bar with caramel, peanuts, peanut butter, nuget (is that the right spelling? Eh, who cares), wafer, crunchy puffed disgusting rice all smothered in chocolate variety.
I want candy, but not that ultimate candy. Any chocolate bar sans crunchy puffed disgusting rice will do.
No comments:
Post a Comment