Sunday, October 16, 2011

Movie Mistake

So I just watched The Accidental Husband because I'll watch anything with Colin Firth in it. It is a shitty movie; don't watch it. I was expecting a cheesy romantic comedy. It is that; it's also stupid. Half way through, I started playing solitaire on the computer. It's boring as well as shitty. But then I started getting angry. There's one moment when I thought it wasn't going to end in the disastrously predictable way I was expecting, so I got hopeful and kept watching. But I was wrong. It ends exactly the way you'd expect. I'm about to give away plot here.

So Uma Thurman is a radio love doctor engaged to Colin Firth. A woman calls in worried that the man she's about to marry--who she has known for 5 months--is not right for her. Basically, he's immature, irresponsible, and has a temper so she's having second thoughts. Thurman says 5 months is too short and if he isn't a reliable adult, then maybe he's not right for marriage. Woman calls off wedding. The dumped man--Jeffrey Dean Morgan--gets angry, blames Thurman, and agrees to his friend's teenage son hacking into some records office and making Thurman married to Morgan, all to ruin her life like she ruined his. You see where this is going, right? What seems like psychopathic behavior to me gets turned into spontaneity and romance by the movie. Firth is a good guy, but Thurman loves Morgan--despite the fact that his behavior totally demonstrates that he is not a sane adult. When she finds out he's a giant creep who clearly has insanity issues, she goes back to Firth and it seems like they might still get married, but seeing as that's only three-fourths of the way through the movie, that ain't the "happy" ending. She marries the ass.

This is worse than the usual romantic comedy bullshit. You know, the ones where Hugh Grant falls in loves and becomes a better person in order to win over Sandra Bullock? This movie says that if you love the psychopath, you should marry him. He doesn't become a better a person, or show regret. His view is portrayed as the right one by the film and hers--that you should marry someone because you can have a future with them, not just because you think you love them--is wrong. His buddies think he's a good guy and he doesn't rape her when he has the chance, and I guess that's enough. I can't even form a sentence that explains how despicable I find this film to be. Someone should be punished for making a movie like this. But I would never actually follow through with that thought because I'm not a psychopath.

No comments: