You know how sometimes being a responsible grown up sucks? And you could totally ask for help, and everyone would be happy to give it to you, but you don't want to ask because that means explaining why you need help? Yeah.
So Husband's father has a tumor in his lungs. We found out just under two weeks ago, I think. Everyone assumed cancer. (This is the FIL whose sister died of lung cancer in July.) Father-in-law and sister-in-law asked Husband to move back to the mainland for an indefinite number of months to take care of FIL and FIL's mom (who is mentally in great shape, but weak and so needs someone to cook and clean; FIL had been doing that until he started getting weak). They asked Husband because he is self-employed, so him relocating seems easier than the other possibilities (the ocean between us and our marriage not being particularly good reasons not to, I guess).
How do we feel about this? Well, neither of us wants to do this, but it
is doable. Husband wants to be there for his dad, and if his dad is
terminally ill, then I think he needs to be there too. I would have
moved back if I'd known my dad was dying before he did. We can handle
it. This is just one of those situations where every solution sucks.
For Husband to move, I need a cheaper place, and the one we're in is too big for just me. I could get a roommate, but since the landlord may tear down the house as soon as January to build an apartment complex (we heard this at the neighborhood board meeting and read this in the newspaper; he didn't tell us "Jan."), we figured let's just move now while Husband is here to help me. So in about a week we found a one bedroom apartment and signed a lease. We started moving stuff over today and plan to be finished Tuesdayish so our friends who need a place for a few months can move in here and take over on the first. We have plans. Things are moving, but they're moving so fast. And yesterday, after we signed the lease, SIL called to tell Husband that FIL is really weak but is checking out of the hospital because he's refusing treatment because he doesn't want to be in the hospital anymore (there's a med he needs that has to be administered IV). They did a biopsy and puss came out of the tumor, so maybe it's not cancer after all but a fungal infection or something else more treatable.
I was considering having someone sub for me Monday or Tuesday, I'm sure she would do it and the dept. people won't care that I miss the meeting, but I think Husband and I have it worked out so I don't have to miss class. I also have a book review due in October, and I wanted to submit it the 3rd. This may not happen. I can email the editor and clarify what "October" means, and I'm sure she'll say to take my time, but I don't want to ask her. I will have to though.
I would very much like an uncomplicated life, please.
Oh yeah, and if I disappear for a while, it's because the cable company takes forever to hook up the internet. Their website says it's possible to install it yourself and get same day service, but I'm not sure I trust them.
3 comments:
Wow. That is a heavy load. I think you should just ask about the book review. I don't think anything will think anything of your inquiry.
I hope it is just a fungal infection and your husband is able to be back home quickly. I know I would want to do what he's doing for my parent, but it would sure be hard to leave my spouse so far away. It all sounds so very stressful.
Oh, gah. Hope things get better soon.
It's tough being a grown up. I'm sorry you're dealing with so much. I hope it gets better soon.
Post a Comment