Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Fantasy Must Reads

I'm teaching a fantasy class next semester that I've never taught before and that hasn't been taught in ages. I have some ideas for books and short stories, but there is so much I could do! I want to narrow down my big list, but I also want to be sure not to miss something obvious. I'm not doing Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, or Twilight. Husband says I should put "no Twilight" on the course flier as an incentive. I love HP, but I think I can assume that anyone who takes this class has read them. And if I did HP, I would want to do a sources of HP course instead. And LotR is just too big and too pages upon pages of detail for what I want to do. I plan to use Tolkien essays though. I'm going to come up with a few reading lists for future incarnations too. I'm not doing a women and fantasy focus, for example, but I'd love to at some point.

So help me out, what are your fantasy must reads? Books and authors.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you read Lois McMaster Bujold's Paladin of Souls?

It's a sequel to The Curse of Chalion, which is also quite good; but Paladin is my favorite.

Alternatively, Ring of Swords by Eleanor Arnason, though really that is more SF than fantasy.

(me, delagar)

Carrie said...

Hmmmmm. Tough question! Lighthouse Duet by Carol Berg. Tamir trilogy by Lynn Flewelling. I would say Deverry by Katherine Kerr, but there's no way you could read the whole series. You could do Snare, but it is an intersection of fantasy and sci-fi.

Something by Juliet Marillier. Hmmmm. Not sure which.

Guy Gavrial Kaye. I think Lions of Al'Rassan is my favorite, though I also loved Tigana.

Anonymous said...

I think you need to pick one from The Chronicles of Narnia series.
Momma