Monday, March 07, 2011

Sunglasses at Night

You know what's a difficult song to make sense of? "I wear my sunglasses at night" by Corey Hart. It's on my 80's playlist on my ipod, but I usually skip it when it comes up. Today I was too lazy to dig my ipod out of my bag to skip it,* so I listened. I've never understood the lyrics to this song. There is a pretense of narrative there, but it just falls apart. And looking up the lyrics doesn't help. So here are my theories:
  1. I wear my sunglasses at night beacuse I'm stalking this woman who's dating this guy who wears his sunglasses at night.
  2. I wear my sunglasses at night because I'm following my girlfriend whose cheating on me with a guy who wears sunglasses at night.
  3. Don't mess with me, bitch, because I'm awesome. I wear my sunglasses at night.
  4. I wear my sunglasses at night so you can't see me cry.
Basically, she's lying, he's watching her, she's lying, he's insecure, she's in control, he's threatening, he's pleading, he's hiding, he's watching her, she's lying, he's insecure, she's in control, he's threatening, he's pleading, etc.



You're welcome.


*I have new Skullcandy ear buds and I love them. So much more comfortable than what came with the ipod, and better quality. They have a super long wire, so I can leave my ipod in my bag on the bus and don't have to worry about where the wire is when I stand up or move around.

1 comment:

Carrie said...

I remember really liking this song when I was young, but I don't think I ever knew any more than the first few lines. I am terrible at understanding lyrics. I just watched and am very puzzled. I don't even know how to begin understanding. What the hell?