I am not liking my morning work time. Right now, I teach every afternoon; I have to be on campus 1-5. Sometimes I stay till 6, but it's usually 12:30-5:30 due to having time to get ready for class and then close down my office for the day. (And I do have some student work days scheduled in.)
During exams and my prospectus, I taught MWF and studied/wrote TR. That was difficult, switching back and forth between the two ways of thinking. I felt like I got nothing done. Obviously I did, but it took a while to get started every TR morning and on the weekend.
During classes, I taught every morning (though I put a stop to the 8am class when I realized that my IBS got way better when I didn't have to be anywhere until 9am) and went to class/studied/wrote in the afternoons and evenings. I lived on caffeine.
So when the diss came around, I thought, write every morning! I'm tired in the afternoons & evenings, so give my awake time to the diss. And I work some in the evenings too. But now it seems like by the time I get started, it's time to stop and get ready for class. I mean, I'm excited to want to work on the diss, but I think I have to make myself get up earlier. I wake up really well if I've had 9 hours of sleep. Less than that I tend to be angry and hitty when I wake up.
What's your writing schedule? How do other people do this?
I know that my title doesn't really fit this post, as this is not a 9-to-5 job, but I love Dolly.
2 comments:
How many classes are you teaching right now?
Also, I have bad news: writing is a pain in the ass. All through my dissertation I kept looking for a time when I was not tired and cranky. Never did find it. Whatever time I was writing, I always thought there would be a better time for writing.
I think I even had a post about how the phases of the moon were obviously interfering with my ability to concentrate while writing...
I don't have a good answer either - I ended up writing all day on Fridays and then whenever possible on the weekends. But I hate writing and it was never exciting or fun for me.
Post a Comment