Thursday, February 03, 2011

Fucking email tricked me!

I'm supposed to be going to bed, but I made the mistake of checking my work email (I know! I know! Crazy!). There was an email making a super reasonable request that I agree with--rubric and possibly revised outcomes for a developmental course (one that I teach every semester). The thread of this email shows the person in charge of this and related courses in our department, in an earlier email, suggesting that the requester ask people who had taught the course recently as ze hadn't. Also reasonable, EXCEPT I have asked said person-in-charge on multiple occasions to start a committee or call a meeting or do something so that those of us who teach the course (we're talking like, 4 people) can meet to discuss the course. The learning outcomes are out of date, we have no cross-section assessment or norming. We basically can just do whatever we want and no one will care. There is no consistency. I have been going to the appropriate fucking person to try to change this. (And I talked to the chair about it who agreed with me and said that ze needed to be the one to do this as it is hir job.) I mean, all ze has to do is call a meeting; I'll run it. Or at least I would have if ze had done so when I originally asked hir to months ago (before my dissertation-eyes-only phase started). So I just deleted an email I was writing that implied that the person-in-charge has not been doing hir job and replaced it with one promising rubrics emailed next time I'm in the office. I'm so glad the person-in-charge was not voted in as our new chair. God I hope no one I work with stumbles upon this post accidentally.

Moral: Never read work email before bed.

No comments: