I'm bad with migraines. I don't want to get one because mine last for days (3-5 is standard). And this year I've been getting a lot of them. So in my desperation to not have one, I sometimes delude myself into think thinking "oh, I'm just hungry or dehydrated" or "it's my sinuses or the weather." And then when I realize that it isn't any of those things, I take the big meds. I'm catching them earlier, but I hate them so much. And my delusions are enabled by well-meaning people who don't have migraines.
Here's some advice. When someone tells you they're getting a migraine or have a migraine, offer them sympathy and ask if there is anything you can do. Perhaps tell them to go home. Do not tell them to eat, drink, or exercise. Do not suggest it's their hair (too long) or the weather. Do not suggest botox. Do not advise them. If they know it's a migraine, then they've seen a doctor about it, they know what their triggers are, and they know what they need to do. Your suggestions are stressful, and they don't feel like dealing with you right now. If you have migraines, then you might ask, "have you tried this or can I get you that?"--naming specific meds or a glass of water to take said meds with. But that's all that's actually helpful.
2 comments:
God, yes. And don't tell them they "just need to relax." Because that is NOT HELPFUL.
I hate that one too.
Post a Comment