We're moved in and are unpacking. I'm listening to E Nesbit's Last of the Dragons on BBC7 and starting to put books on shelves in my office. My office! It will be nice when we're all done. I think by after Thanksgiving, the place will be settled.
Next week Husband and Pool Boy will be rat hunting. We have rats because the landlord canceled the tree service, giving the rats a nice nesting place, food sources, and a highway between the house and the small unit in the back--basically a pool house, only we don't have a pool. (So, mother-in-law unit? I don't know what to call it or our friend who lives in it, hence the pool-boy pseud. I might change his name once I think of something better.) The people who used to live in the house--all friends--are 20-something men with varying degrees of cleanliness that are not up to our standards. When the more responsible guys were out of town months ago, rats moved into the oven and nested in the insulation. So that's gone and we have a new (used) oven. The guys are gone too. The only way we can afford this place is that the landlord doesn't want to put money into it, so he isn't, and so we have cheap rent. It's not a slum; it will be nice when we get it cleaned up. We're not doing any major repairs, but five dollars here and five dollars there adds up.
Anyway, house! I will get back to regular posting soon. I'm excited about having a room of my own.
No comments:
Post a Comment