Monday, November 29, 2010

Jingle Bells

The bell-ringing army is out. Usually it takes me a little longer to get annoyed at them than this, but I already hate the bell ringers. There's always one at the drug store next to my bus stop downtown. And the guy today was just ringing his heart out--hard, loud, and fast. And boy was it deafening. Between it and the bus noise (the buses beep when they activate the tilt feature), I was ready to scream. I tried to sing Christmas carols in my head to the bell ringing, but there was no Xmas rhythm to the bells. These were angry bells.

1 comment:

jen said...

My first exposure of the season? I went to a local "general" store that has a small brick room as an entry-point, opening into a huge cavernous store.

So I go in and as I'm wandering around I hear someone playing a trumpet. Annoyingly - it sounded more like practice than someone actually performing. And in some places, it seemed kind of loud but I couldn't figure out where it was coming from. Until I went to leave.

It was the Salvation Army guy. He'd set up since I came in. And he was right in the middle of the entryway, in this small enclosed space, playing his trumpet.

Argh! It hurt to walk past him.