Thursday, November 04, 2010

Linky-Loo

We're moving. To a house. I get my own office! But we're moving. So, I've been busy and swamped. Have some links:

This QC comic is basically what it's like to teach writing, only without the slash fanfic.

Tonks posted this a week or two ago and I've been meaning to link to it. She responds to the hoopla over the Glee* cast doing sexy school girl poses. My favorite part:
If people want to point fingers, take a long damn look in the mirror. Slutty Barbies and Bratz are available because PARENTS BUY THEM FOR THEIR DAUGHTERS. Prostitot costumes are infiltrating Halloween shops everywhere because PARENTS BUY THEM FOR THEIR DAUGHTERS. We’re reinforcing the idea in our children (beginning in preschool!) that being sexy is important for a girl. Being sexy means showing lots of skin, dressing in away that encourages people to ogle, being provocative and selling your *goods*. That’s what women do. That’s how women become popular, successful, admired and loved.
Both PZ and Skepchick linked to Jen's McCreight's response to the Ms. magazine blog post that basically argues that women are absent from the New Atheists. I wish my students could analyze like Jen does. I think I'll be reading her more often.


*By the way, I watched the Rocky Horror episode of Glee. It was awful. I made it through most of the episode, which is more than I could watch of the Neil Patrick Harris/Joss Whedon episode. I only got 10 minutes into that one (there was some sexist boy/girlfriend mush in the beginning that irritated me and I just decided that while I love NPH and JW, it wasn't worth it). I guess I get why people like it, but I felt like I was in elementary school again watching teen-based soaps on the Disney channel after school. It was embarrassing, and I'm one of those empathetic viewers--I cringe and hide my eyes when embarrassing things happen to people. I'm an adult now; I don't have to feel that way again about being a teen (or a pre-teen). Oh well, we all have our trashy tv shows to bear. I won't judge you if you don't judge me.

No comments: