Saturday, December 02, 2006

Pep-talk or Criticism?

I really miss being a fiction writer. I have no time. All I do is academic writing. I mean, it's good. I was published before I started my PhD. This is the end of my first semester as a PhD student and I'm part of a panel in the Spring (for an essay that isn't written--aaaaahhhhhhh!!!!) and that essay will be published in a book for which I am a co-editor (brought on at the last minute b/c I was being so darn helpful to the editors). And I have two other possibilities for panels in the Spring. (and yes, I know that this really isn't all that much and that it is exactly what PhD students should be doing, but let feel me a little pride so I don't feel like a total mess of a troll who has to write 2 twenty page papers this week). So it's not like I'm wasting time. I'm good at what I do, but I miss fiction writing. I have all of these great ideas and no time.

Yes, I know, "if you have time to blog, blah blah blah."

At least, I think (fingers crossed and praying) my fever is gone and I'm on the mend. I have a cough, but I slept all day yesterday and last night (although I only slept 2 hours Thursday night because I was feverishly grading papers while feverish for my friend to drop off to my classes Friday---those have got to be funny comments). I can think this morning. So things are looking better. I'm off to eat, ah (looks at time), brunch, then feverishly write (sans fever).

How do you professor-types do it?


p.s. Husband has told me I'm not allowed to spend all morning on blogs. It's a good idea. Let's see if I can manage it.

1 comment:

Ilnizzzah said...

Much kudos on your writing and publishing! It must feel good to see your name in print.