Procrastination is an odd thing. Why do we do it? Why procrastinate? It serves no purpose but to put off the inevitable, thus allowing stress and worry to build over said item being procrastinated. I procrastinate silly things too, blog posts even!
I'm having a hard time getting back on track after the Christmas holiday. The College Where I Teach starts next week. That's great because I have an extra two weeks vacation. It sucks because I'm teaching a 14 week semester instead of a 16 week - great for the time off, but harder to cram everything the students need in. I procrastinated my syllabi to the last possible moment. They are done - 3 preps for a total of 5 classes, one of which will become a set of directed readings since there are only 4 students enrolled.
In the mean time, my two week vacation, what have I done? Nothing. In my defense, I have been ill. But shouldn't I at least be able to write? Husband has even given me a 10-page a week deadline for my children's novel (think elementary school Southern Gothic - or so I've been told). I have written a measly 9 pages by hand this week. The requirement is for typed pages. I have a short list of children's novels to check out from the library - research - and will try to get started on that tomorrow.
I have decided to use my bus commute as reading kids' books time. I'm really looking forward to it. So I have a task for you dear readers: recommend children's books. I'm looking for books in the same age range as The Chronicles of Narnia, Beverly Cleary's Ramona and Superfudge series, Harry Potter (at least the first few), etc. The Junie B. Jones series might be a little young, but I do love it. I've been trying to think of books that I read in elementary school, but I read Animal Farm in the 5th grade, so I might not be the best model.
And feel free to harass me about my 10 page requirement. I need a good kick in the pants sometimes.
1 comment:
I liked the 5 Little Peppers and How They Grew when I was a kid. Eragon and sequel Eldest are all the rage with the pre-teen set right now. I think J. K. Rowling and Peter Jackson have encouraged an overall cultural embrace of fantasy as a literary genre.
Post a Comment