Monday, November 02, 2009

Gaaaaah!

So I'm writing the literature review part of my dissertation prospectus. And I don't know what this is supposed to look like. I haven't written one of these before. I keep putting in arguments then going "bad Tree, take it out."

I won the student writing award at a national conference last week. I didn't go to the conference, but my professor did (the award wasn't for a conference paper). And so my prof was like, "I hope this gets you excited about writing." And it did, but what it didn't do is give me time! This prospectus thing takes a lot of thinking, and I've been busy grading and student conferencing. It sucks.

I had hoped to defend the prospectus by the end of the semester. But my new goal is to finish writing the prospectus by the end of this month.* If the timing doesn't work out for the defense, no biggie. I'll defend in January. But I promised my prof something for tomorrow.

Oh yeah, I still haven't figured out all of my primary texts. This is what is stalling the process. I know a few, but dagnabit, it's not enough. The writer that I really want to write about doesn't warrant a whole diss yet. So I need to group her with others. Only, I'm stuck at finding the others. I know they're out there. I just can't remember who they are. And there are some obvious choices, but I have nothing new to say about the obvious people.

Le sigh.


*See my progress in the sidebar.

2 comments:

delagar said...

Congratulations on the award!

But yes -- the time. More money, my colleagues here keep saying. Ha, I say. More time!

Though, of course, money is time.

undine said...

Congrats on the award!