Monday, September 21, 2009

Two Bits of Randomness

1. Friday I looked down when I was in the elevator and thought, "my boobs look low." Which clearly means that my stretched-out bra no longer fulfills the lift portion of it's lift and separate duties.

2. I am sucking at the motivation part of exercising. I think that I will be motivated when I get to the point that I notice results (climbing stairs easier, losing weight, etc.). My big goal is to lower my cholesterol, so weight loss is part of that but not the goal (though I am the heaviest I have ever weighed). Getting into shape (whatever that means) would be nice too. But, right now the results aren't noticeable. So how do I motivate myself? I started thinking about this because yesterday I spent most of the day building up a zoo on Facebook (because I'm clearly crazy, and was bored). I do well at games like this where goals are stated and you get prizes when you meet them. yay! When I was a kid, my mom made TV bucks to force us to watch less TV and pay attention to what we watched (we had 1 hour and 30 minute increments. We had to pay to watch every show, and on Sundays, she would give us our TV bucks for the week). I don't remember how long we did it, but I remember taking it seriously and not wanting to break the rules. So I need something like that, I think. Any suggestions? How do you motivate yourself to do stuff you want to do but don't (yet, I hope) enjoy?

3 comments:

delagar said...

I love the idea of TV bucks (I know this has nothing to do with your question). Think I'll steal that for net time for the kid. Netbucks. X amount of time online...

Anonymous said...

I find that having a partner helps. Committing to do something with someone else gives it more importance psychologically. You might also try putting it in your schedule at the same time everyday (habit-forming). Don't be discouraged. If you can manage to do the activity for 21 days it will turn into a habit. Now there's a tangible goal---21 days.
--Momma

crookedtoes said...

TV BUCKS SUCK! I HATE THEM!
sis