Smart girl thinks she's ugly and unlovable until she meets perfect boy. His love makes her beautiful.Making her like being smart and independent and have no interest in marriage doesn't make it better. I don't care what the other plots in the book are or how detailed and well-written the book is or how amazing the author's other books are. This plot is stupid and I have decided that it shall be retired. No more. Be warned: if you're writing a book, this plot is no longer available for use.
I know there are lots of girls who think that they're ugly and unlovable when they're adolescents or teens. I was one of them. Hell, I didn't want to get married or even date until I met Husband. But I managed to avoid these books as a kid/teen. That's the nice thing about going from Nancy Drew to Star Trek books--it's an easy transition into adult books without the teen issues mucking it up. Now, reading a lot of YA books, some of which are wonderful, I am struck by how often this plot is a part of the book. How do girls manage to survive these? How does anyone manage to grow up feminist with so many books like this? There are other ways to address self-esteem issues in books without resorting to the ugly-duckling-true-love paradigm! Maybe if we didn't tell girls that this is what they should worry about, they wouldn't fucking worry about it.
No comments:
Post a Comment