Friday, August 24, 2007

Coffee, Sugar, & Syllabi

Coffee makes things better. So does sleeping until 9:30.

Yesterday, I finished 3, count 'em 3, syllabi: 2 for courses I'm teaching and 1 for a course I'm developing (with someone else, but we divided the workload as I do the syllabus, she sits in committees and fills out paperwork. She has to go to the meetings anyway, so it's pretty even). I was up until 11pm doing this. Of course, I had CSI & Boston Legal on in the background

Classes at College (where I teach) start two weeks after University (where I learn), so we can pick up the students who, for what ever reason, wash out in the first 2 weeks at Big U. Which means I have 14 weeks to do what I'd like to do in 16 weeks (an extra 5 minutes a class doesn't make 14 = 16).

So I'm taking 2 grad classes and teaching 4 undergrad ones. I am so lovin' the grad classes.* Well, I've been to one that is with a prof I love and in my specific obscure area. The other one meets for the first time this afternoon. It's a combination of one of my favorite theories/philosophies and my job, so it should be useful and fun. Plus I've already emailed the prof about missing 2 classes because of conferences and she seems cool. There are rumors, of course, but every rumor I've encountered about a prof here has been false ("she's hard"--actually, no, she's awesome and you're just stupid**).

I guess if I'm going to class this afternoon I should do something other than eat breakfast and read blogs. Husband made an oatmeal/kashi blend with peaches and strawberries. I over-sugared mine because I was over-compensating for over-Splendaing my coffee (cause too much Splenda makes coffee taste weird, not sweet), but all was still well. I only used the Splenda because I was too lazy to refill the sugar bowl. Husband likes Splenda. It's good for most things, but coffee should really contain sugar.


*I mistyped that as "grad lasses"--That's a good typo.
**Um, yeah, you have to be careful who you get advice from. Theory scares some people because they just can't think abstractly enough to get it. And some people take criticism personally.

No comments: