Monday, July 23, 2007

Book 7

NO SPOILERS

So I finished reading the last installment of Harry Potter about 5am Sunday morning. We picked up the book at a midnight party that Friday night, read for about three hours, slept, and then did nothing but read until we finished. Husband and I read it together so we could talk about it as we went. We've never done that before, and it was nice. Pretty much all of our predictions were accurate, but there were still surprises. We successfully avoided spoilers. The was really only one thing I felt particularly strongly about, and I was right about that thing as well as the reasoning behind it, and I can't tell you how happy that made me (and it's probably not what you think it is).

I'm going to wait a couple of weeks and then read it again. We just couldn't read fast enough (we were reading aloud), and rushed to get to the next action-packed moment. It is a very exciting book. I look forward to reading it again for the richness of detail.

In the mean time, I second Tonks. . .

Thank you J.K. Rowling for letting me read like a kid again.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've decided to re-read the series while Mr. Tonks is reading Book 7. I've been walking around in a funk and can't decide if it's because this wasn't my favorite book (I personally like Books 5 and 6 best) or if it's because I'm just bummed that it's over.

What was the one thing you felt strongly about?

Tree of Knowledge said...

Snape and the reasoning behind why he acted the way he did. When I offered my theory (which was absolutely accurate) I was met with resistance, but I thought it was the only thing that could explain his actions and maintain the character's depth. And he's one of my favorites.

It is really weird to try to explain that without giving anything away.

Anyway, I've been in a funk too and I think it's partly the emotional residue from the book and that it's over. I'm looking forward to rereading the series in order without interruption. But am currently distracting myself with other books and movies - to remove the funk, I hope. For me at least, it's that I get so involved in stories, it takes a while to work through all of the emotions I experience while reading. And this book is intense.

It's hard to think of the books separately because they're so interconnected. So I can't really call it my "favorite," instead I'm thinking of favorite parts of the series.